VC Soccer Summer Camp - Day 2 - 7/24/07
Coaches: John Basanese,
Donny Fugate, John Kusch
Guest Instructors: Tyler
Williamson, Ryan Favre
Theme of the day: DEFENSE
Points of emphasis:
- Chest receiving, get your arms out for balance and protection, and
create a platform for the ball. The ball should be collected
gently and drop down to your feet. Do not lean forward when
receiving a ball with your chest.
- Inside foot volleys. Lock your ankle, and get your knee up.
Focus on the ball, and punch it with the inside of your foot.
- Receiving with your thigh. Treat the ball as if it's a basket of
eggs. You don't want the eggs to break. The ball should stay
close to your body, and you should not be using your knee at all.
- Headers. Turn your body, push off your back leg, and use your
neck. You should be heading the ball, not the other way around.
Get your arms out for balance and protection.
2. Defensive Circuit
- Pressure and cover. The cover person cuts off the pass, while
the pressure person looks to the force the player with the ball a
- Use the endline and sideline as 'extra defenders' and force the player
- When defending with your back to the goal, turn your body sideways to
see the ball. Use one hand to gently touch the back of the ball
carrier to sense his direction, but do not push! Don't dive in,
simply hold up the player until help arrives.
- Defensive headers. Keep your hands off the other players back at
all times. This is a sure way to be called for a foul. If
you jump straight up, you're in good shape. Anticipate the flight
of the ball.
Please make sure to hydrate each night as it's hot out there!
from the session can be found here.