VC Soccer Summer Camp - Day 4 - 7/26/07
Coaches: John Basanese,
Donny Fugate, John Kusch
Guest Instructor: Brandon Stirm
Theme of the day: Dribbling, Crossing
Points of emphasis:
1. Vitamins. When dribbling, take small steps and
touch the ball often. Building dexterity in your feet is a vital
part of being a skilled soccer player. Touch the ball as often as
possible, and work on the dribbling drills with both feet. Keep
your balance, and go slowly.
- Slot pass. Look to angle the ball back towards the top of the
six yard box. Keep the cross away from the keeper and keep it low.
Even if your teammate doesn't get on the other end of your cross, the
chances of it deflecting off someone and ending up in the goal are high.
When doing drills, do them at Game Speed!
- Friendly touch. Give yourself a good touch before you cross the
ball. Turn your hips instead of swinging your leg across your
- Near, middle, far. When you work on crosses, work on aiming them
to the near post, middle of the box, and far post. Becoming
effective at determining where your cross goes is very important.
- Time your runs. Forwards, if you're in the six yard box early,
you're wasting space. Time your run so that you arrive just at the
cross comes in. Remember to finish the ball, not shoot it. A
tap in usually is all it takes on a cross.
For tomorrow, please bring a swimsuit. We will be going to the
pool to cool off. If you don't want to swim, it's no problem.
It's just meant to be a fun thing.
Photos from the session can be